Thursday, August 13, 2009

Elevators

Every day I travel to the 10th floor of the Vail Resorts office building so naturally I take the elevator, otherwise I’d be late for work every single day climbing stairs. Throughout my travels in the elevator I have learned and observed things. First, if you’re on the second floor, take the stairs. Probably even take the stairs if you’re on the third floor. Especially if you’re going down. Also, why is the elevator so awkward sometimes and not others? If you think about it, you’re riding in a tiny closet-box-like thing with a bunch of other people staring at the door or the number display in complete silence. Should somebody say something? That’s pretty awkward. Because I’m new here I don’t talk to many people because I don’t have the faintest clue who they are so I’m not about to be the awkward breaker and say something stupid like “Great day for a bike ride” or “Man I can’t wait for ski season”. It would probably be even more awkward if I said some ridiculous thing like that so I just grit my teeth and stare at the numbers until it says 10. Other times, when you forget to think about the awkwardness of the situation, the elevator is fine, a causal and convenient ride to your floor. Or hopefully, a couple people who are friends get on and are talking so it’s not quite as awkward for the rest of the silent people standing in the tiny room. That is unless you’re the only other person on, then you feel kind of left out.

No comments: